Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Soup in a Bag!

My favorite, quick, easy-go-to soup is Manischewitz! (And FYI, it's kosher- a bonus for all you kosher folks! ;) Thanks Mrs. T for introducing me to this product!!) I always use the bagged varieties. You just dump the pack in boiling water and GO! :) Of course I always do two extra things, possibly three. I add extras to the mix. The latest mix I chose was the Hearty Bean Soup Mix. Unfortunately for me I didn't have any fresh veggies on hand (except lettuce. GASP! I blame the snow for my lack of well stocked produce!), so I couldn't add carrots, tomatoes, shallots, or whatever my heart desired. As I've mentioned before I like thick soups, so to this mix I just added my own (extra) lentils! Gotta love thick, viscous soups! (If I had extra veggies, the additional step would have included pureeing the cooked vegetables, again to make the soup heavier and thicker.) Last but not least, is the addition of seasonings about 2 hours after simmering. Of course, this bag comes with a sodium laden packet of flavors estimated at 660mg per cup with FIVE cups of soup per bag. YIKES! I might use a sprinkle of the packet- maybe- but in all likelihood I'll just scan the ingredient list for the spices and herbs included (which could consist of paprika, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, parsley) and use my own sans salt. High blood pressure here I DON'T come!! :) With the amount of hot spices used, be ready for a kick! A glass of low fat milk goes very nicely with this soup! Enjoy!

Of note, unfortunately my camera broke so I have no pictures to share. Like most people I know, I enjoy seeing a picture of a product before I try my hand at it myself. So since I can't provide that picture today, what I can say is that if you like beans, lentils and spicy food, then this recipe is for you!!

Of second note, I have not been paid to review this product!

No comments:

Post a Comment