Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Avoiding GMO's

I'm a huge advocate for knowing what's in my food. I rarely buy processed, pre-packaged foods. I would much rather make it myself. And with that said, I always have to keep reminding myself that many food manufacturers are just for-profit companies; they don't care about individuals' health. They care about their bottom line.

GMO's are genetically modified organisms that are created in a lab. I don't think we fully know the dangers of GMO's, but the possibilities are too high. As always more research is needed. For me the potential dangers are enough for me to avoid them. (Specifically as a dietitian, I question the role of GMOs/GE or GM foods and their role in increased incidences of food allergies and intolerances. And this is just one potential issue that arises from GMOs! I could go on about the risk of cancers or unexplained anomalies!)

This brings me to my surprise find the other day! In my usual adventures of linking through various websites, I came across the NON-GMO Shopping list! I think it is GREAT! There are quick 4 steps listed. 1. Buy organic. (Check.) 2. Look for 'Non-GMO' labels. (Check.) 3. Avoid at-risk ingredients (Double Check! FYI This includes the oh-so popular soy, corn, canola oil, cotton seed oil, and sugar!) 4. (Make your life easy and) Use the above shopping guide! It is 16 pages long. Scan through it and print what you think you'd find useful to have with you while grocery shopping! (I'm also a fan of saving a tree; no need to print the entire handout unless you find it will be immensely useful! :)) Happy GMO-free shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment