Sunday, December 6, 2009

Non-traditional Tuna Salad

Sandwiches are probably one of the most common, quick, easy, go-to lunches; however, they can very often be laden with fat from mayonnaise to cheese! In a world where heart disease is the number one cause of death (in the US), it might be a good idea to try and reduce your saturated (and total) fat intake.

Typically, when I think of tuna salad I think of canned tuna mixed with (too much) mayonnaise. 1 tbsp mayonnaise = 90 calories, 10 grams of fat. So what's a better idea? Yes there is miracle whip and low fat mayonnaise, which to me is not appealing! BUT, a more intriguing concept sensually is to add hummus. The thought at first might seem gross, I admit. I came across this idea accidentally as I topped my green salad with canned tuna and hummus. By lunch time the container had been dumped, flipped, and rotated so many times I (literally) had a tossed salad! As I was eating, the idea popped into my head to try a tuna salad sandwich next time around mixed with hummus instead of mayonnaise. 1 tbsp hummus = 30 calories and 2 grams of fat! :) To my delight, this sandwich was quite tasty. We could chalk this up as a peculiar and personal taste preference... but I have an inkling more than just lil' ol' me will enjoy this twist! Give it whirl! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment