Sunday, December 20, 2009

Shirataki Noodles
















For the past few months now I've been hearing more and more about Shirataki noodles. They are made from the roots of a Konjac plant, which grow in Eastern Asia. They are tubers known as the Devils Tongue. (Courtesy of Japanese Kitchen)

The buzz is loud for multiple reasons. One is the low caloric content. 1 package (8oz) = 40 calories, 1 gram total fat, 4 grams of fiber, 2 grams protein. Glucomannan, the fiber found in these noodles, is also getting a lot of buzz. I've read studies on the potential benefits of glucomannan to help relieve childhood constipation, adult constipation, and potentially improve blood glucose control (for diabetics.) There appears to be inconclusive and/or non-statistical significance in regards to the effects on lipids (your cholesterol.) It may improve it, it may not, but it definitely won't worsen it (unless you decide to pan fry them in a half stick of butter. And that's a whole other story we'll just save for another day!) It's being marketed as a weight loss product and for 40 calories for 8oz I understand why! :)

Although I heard a bunch about these noodles, I hadn't seen them until the other day at Whole Food's Market where they jumped out at me! (Yes, literally jumped! Just kidding...) I quickly grabbed them and put them in my shopping cart!

The package is accurate in stating that they smell a little fishy. Butttt, for anybody who cooks with fish regularly, it's really no big deal. To me, these noodles, are a healthier version of ramen (aka non-fried and non-laden in salt!) For someone who grew up with ramen, it was kind-of exciting to see if these noodles would bring me back to my childhood, but in a healthier way! (Yes, yes I'm kinda a dork!)

I wasn't totally sure how to prepare these noodles, so like everything and everyone else, I googled it. I came across this site, which has many recipes! I looked at a few and decided to take on my own stir-fry version. In one frying pan I sauteed garlic, carrots and celery in a dash of olive oil. In another pan I pan fried some shrimp in a bit of olive oil as well. I rinsed, drained, patted dry, and then cut the noodles as directed per the package. I tossed the noodles into the vegetable pan; cooked 'til warm. Tossed in the shrimp and added soy sauce!

For my first go at these noodles, I would say this was a quick, easy, fairly tasty dish! I am absolutely going to give it another try. (The Fettuccine Shirataki Noodle Tuna Casserole has totally caught my eye!) What you read about these noodles, being bland, is true. So be sure to add lots of sauce. Next time around I might sautee the garlic solo, to bring out the flavor better. Then I might not need so much soy sauce (salt laden yummy-ness!)

I'm all about experimenting. And with cooking (and baking) it's rare that recipes are fabulous the first go. So give it a second, third, fourth... seventeenth go if needed until perfection arises. Happy cooking! (Also check out Hungrygirl.com for additional recipe ideas!)

*Of note, I am not being paid to review these products or sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment