Tuesday, December 22, 2009

High Calorie Dip No More

Just a quick post here on something I stumbled upon. I'm sure you're tired of reading blogs that say something similar to 'avoid those high calorie dips when you eat veggies!' OR 'try hummus as an alternative.' I do completely agree with both of those statements, but that's not what I'm going to discuss today. I accidentally stumbled upon an alternative to a high calorie dip or hummus dip that I don't think I would normally think of. (I'm not really a huge dip/dressing fan anyway.)

The other day I was grocery shopping and picked up what I thought was low fat cottage cheese. (Saw light blue label, mental light went on and automatic thoughts 'yup that's low fat cottage cheese.') Plop in the cart ya go! I didn't take the three seconds (or less) to actually read the label, which stated c l e a r l y Low Fat Cottage Cheese with chive and toasted onion! Hmmm. How did I miss that?! (I'll spare you the psychoanalysis for today!) I only noticed when I got home, opened the package ready to mix it with the fresh pineapple I just chopped up, and noticed green specs in my cottage cheese. Hmmmm! I have to admit I was a little dubious on whether or not I should even try this version, but I did. (And no, not with my pineapple! Gross!) I tried it with some crackers and honey wheat pretzels. It pairs quite nicely. So the next time (maybe in the next few days or so) you are hosting a (holiday) party and you want to serve a healthier dip, try low fat flavored cottage cheese. It's a 1/2 cup for 90 calories versus 2 tablespoons of most regular full fat dressings (i.e. ranch) for about 160 calories. Quite a catch! :) Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment