Thursday, November 12, 2009

Savory Shrimp and Sweet Potato Stirfry

It's late. I just got home from work. What's a quick, healthy dinner?! I have a sweet potato and an onion sitting on the counter. Oh ya! I have frozen vegetables and some frozen shrimp in the freezer. Well, I think a stir-fry should work! But, I'm tired of the plain, old, regular, yada-yada stirfry, aren't you?! With a little imagination and some quick thinking, I came up with the following (tasty, if I don't say so myself!) 30 minute recipe!

Savory Goodness!
Wash sweet potato and slice thinly. Put a smidget (yes smidget. Smidget = <1tsp) of butter or oil in the frying pan. (I used olive oil.) Slowly pan fry the potatoes. (I find that the addition of a bit (bit = <2 tbsp) water helps to quicken the cooking time!) Simultaneously, I chop up the onion into ringlets. In another saucer or frying pan I place a smidget of oil or butter and cook the onions until they are turning light brown! (Be sure to not burn them!!) Keep stirring and flipping both frequently. And remember to keep on the heat on low. While the potato and onion are cooking, bring some water to a boil. Add in frozen broccoli and cook for 4-5 minutes or until done. While the water is boiling for the broccoli, be sure to take the shrimp out of the freezer and defrost in the microwave or under cold water! (I recommend using the microwave or planning in advance and taking the shrmip out of the freezer in the morning and placing them in the refrigerator for the day to defrost. Running cold water to defrost is such a waste albeit quick!) In a fourth pan, add a smidget of butter/oil. Toss in shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side.



As all four ingredients begin to finish cooking, choose the largest frying pan to use as the final destination. Be sure to drain the broccoli before adding to the main pan. Stir all ingredients together and add cinnamon and all-spice (to taste!) As a final little relish, drizzle a bit (bit=<1tsp) maple brown syrup into serving dish. (I used locally-made organic maple brown syrup! YUM!)



Immediately thereafter, transfer that exquisite medley from pan to dish! Eat up! Enjoy!
















For those of you who are curious, this recipe made two dishes for me. (Feel free to increase your portions if needed!) The ingredients in quantities are as follows:

1 medium onion
1 small sweet potato
total of <3 tsp butter/oil
1/2 bag frozen broccoli (or approx 2 cups)
6 large frozen shrimp
1 tsp maple syrup
sprinkle of ground cinnamon
sprinkle of ground all-spice

Divide by two and each dish is approximately 300 calories and 7 grams of total fat. Add a glass of wine or a glass of low fat milk or something else tasty and you have a filling, healthy, delicious 400 calorie dinner in 30 minutes!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I whipped up some quick and healthy chicken last nite! I dipped the chick in egg and then coated it with a mixture of spices, corm meal and wheat germ. Drizzle with a little EVOO, bake at 350 good to go!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete