Sunday, November 8, 2009

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Demystified!



I have to admit I've put off making a pumpkin pie using a real pumpkin (versus that not-so-real 'yucky' can stuff) for years for unknown reasons and fears. Today I tackled that fear. I really had no idea where to start so, like everything and everyone else in the world today, I googled it. And what I found were easy, step-by-step instructions by Pickyourown.org! I followed the directions almost precisely with the exception of using a lot less sugar for the pie itself (vs crust). I think I used just over a half cup instead of the 1 cup it called for. (gasp!)

Demystification of REAL Pumpkin Pie Making!
1. It is not hard at all to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. It is quite effortless.
2. Neither is it time consuming. You cut the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. (SAVE THE SEEDS. Toasted pumpkin seeds are YUM YUM YUM! And now you can't get that from a can! Can you?!) While it cooks, you make the dough. As you finish making the dough and strategically place it in the pie dish, magically and coincidentally the pumpkin is cooked. Scoop out the goo (or in more proper terms- pumpkin flesh) and follow directions. Voila! You're done. Now you just wait in anticipation for an hour for it to bake. Ha! Now that's the hard part! (You know I'm right...:))
3. All-in-all, the hardest part has nothing to do with pie making. It is cleaning the oven from all the spillage. (Of note- the spillage is due to my new found quavering hands apparently, not due to some pumpkin ghost trying to keep me away from making a real pumpkin pie ever again! :) So luckily, you the general public, can ignore this point all together now!)
4. I have to admit the texture is quite different from that 'yucky' can stuff. :) The texture is more grainy (despite my minutes of meticulous blending with my hand blender. And yes, I am kinda old school. No fancy blender here.) To be honest though, the texture and taste is a million times better than that 'yucky' can stuff.
5. Just give it a whirl! The preparation is quite painless and in the end when you've accomplished that 'OMG. ...really challenging recipe...' you'll be smiling from ear to ear! Promise! Enjoy!

PS- the cooked pumpkin pie picture looks as though the crust burned. It is a fallacy. Random Fact- spilled pumpkin pie mixture makes your crust looked burned! Steady hands required! Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to sampling this pie! Huzzah for real pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete