Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Life in France! by Julia Child

I recently finished reading My Life in France by Julia Child. What an inspirational book! My recollection of Julia Child was nothing more than the memory of a very tall woman with a strange voice who had a TV cooking show that aired on the weekends. When she was on TV I was just a child, but something even then was mesmerizing about her.

I find it fascinating that a women with little skill and knowledge of cooking food- let alone French Cuisine- became such a master chef. It was her passion and love of food that led her to accomplish so much. She tediously- and lovingly- tested and retested each recipe numerous times. She had a love for science; she wanted to know why a recipe worked and why it didn't work.

At times the book is humorous and I surprisingly couldn't stop laughing. For most of the book, you really felt as though Julia Child was right there with you. I kept reading with an excitement and strong desire to find out 'what's next?!' The detailed descriptions of the entire experience of preparing, cooking, and eating a meal makes me want to prepare all of my own meals from scratch. And the vivid depiction of the landscape make me want to travel. Living in the city, you sometimes get too busy to notice the simply beauty of life. Julia Child makes you want to drop everything, slow down, and find peace, serenity, and passion.

Besides cooking, this book sheds light into her personal life- her love life with Paul Child. It is a true inspiration. When I see so many divorces and heart breaks these days, this book sheds light on the possibility of long-lasting true love. They complimented each other so well! I don't think individually they would have accomplished all that they did without the accompaniment and support of the other.

All-in-all, this is one of the best books I have ever read. Minus some of the french phrases, it was an easy read. Whether you have a love for life or cooking, this is a must read book! Happy Reading!

A couple of my favorite quotes from the book include the following:

p. 157 "But then the horrors of moving would creep up on us. 'Honestly, I groan when I think of starting over in a new place,'' Paul grumbled. 'No wonder newborn babies cry so much... If variety is the spice of life, then my life must be one of the spiciest you ever heard of. A curry of a life!'"

p. 328 "Learn how to cook- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment