Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Food on the Cruise

Earlier this summer I went on my first cruise!! Many of my clients (and friends and family members) have shared with me detail after detail of the wonderfully delicious food upon the ship. So by the time the day arrived to actually board the big ship, I was very curious as to the types of food that would be available.

As expected there was a smorgasbord of food available all day everyday. On the last night there was a mid-night 'snack.' In reality, it was not a snack, it was a mid-night feast; there were tables and tables full of food!

Let me break it down for you.


Breakfast first!


On each of the mornings (four in total), I choose a similar breakfast that included a protein, a starch, and fruit. Of course, I was on vacation too and wanted to INdulge (read INdulge not overindulge!) Instead of my typical whole grain selection I settled for a few (literally a few) tator tots and a slice of raisin/nut bread. I ate scrambled or boiled eggs and/or yogurt or drank milk. YUM! I was content and satisfied.

Next course- Lunch!

Lunch was always quite variable. Two days included lunch on the ship and two days included food on the island. I didn't take any pictures of lunch because it wasn't anything to write home about; HOWEVER, my dear friend who I traveled with thought it would be 'hilarious' to take a picture of a dietitian with fried food and beers in the picture.


No I did not eat the entire plate of fried onion rings in front of me nor did I drink two beers! Oh to be a dietitian! Food jokes are always on us!! :)

Moving on...

Dinner


We ate on the ship every night for diner, which to my pleasant surprise was accompanied by fresh tiger lilies on the table!

As for the food, there was quite an array of choices. For the most part, the kitchen offered vegetarian options and catered to each individual's needs. (I wouldn't say it was the best vegetarian food ever, but I know my friends were happy when they ordered lamb one night and lobster the next!)

Luckily for me, there was always a wide variety of salads (and we all know I love fruits and vegetables.) A few of the many options include:

Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melon Salad
[Keep in mind the term 'salad' was used very loosely!]


?Garden Salad
I'm actually not really sure how this was considered a salad, but, hey, sometimes you just have to go with it!!


Fruit Salad
This dish was great. It included strawberries, leeche, mango, papaya, watermelon, and a spicy mint jello. The picture actually does not give this salad/dessert any justice!


Caesar Salad


The REAL Garden Salad
Okay moving on to the REAL deal (a.k.a dinner!)

Dinner options

Seafood


Pasta


Steak


The Healthy Menu
There was one set of menus that listed brief nutritional facts. You could see calories per meal. Although it's not how I would design it, it was refreshing to me to see some sort of caloric awareness!! :) (And of course the higher calorie meals listed zero nutritional facts! Surprise! Surprise!)

And last, but definitely not least...

Tasty Drinks!!!


But in reality the main beauty of the trip had nothing to do with food at all...



In the end, vacation can be enjoyable on all grounds. You can eat healthfully, indulge, and at the end of the day enjoy the simplicity of nature at it's best! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment