Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Salad


I know what you're thinking. I'm going to waste your time writing about just another (?boring) rendition of the (common) garden salad! WRONG! One of my favorite whole grains is quinoa! (I posted another recipe yesterday using quinoa! Check it out!)

A little history behind quinoa. Quinoa is the only whole grain with all of the essential amino acids and is high in protein compared to other grains (which is especially great for those who are Vegan or Vegetarian!) I should make one clarification- quinoa is considered a whole grain, but it is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables. (Thank you to The World's Healthiest Foods. Read more here!)

I was researching new resources for Vegans and Vegetarians and re-familiarized myself with the Vegetarian Times magazine. I came across an interesting summer salad- quinoa with corn and basil! Sadly, after visiting two grocery stores I could not locate (nor therefore purchase) fresh basil. I refused to settle for dried basil, so my rendition is basil-less (hence no little green flecks in the picture!) Regardless, this dish is full of flavor. It has the natural nutty flavor of quinoa mixed with a fresh twist of lemon fighting for recognition from the pungent onion and subtle but obviously present flavor of the roasted red pepper! Although cooking makes the kitchen steamy and hot, after this dish cools, you have a refreshing atypical summer salad! Enjoy!

Quinoa with Corn and Basil
1.5 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 cup tightly packed basil leaves finely chopped
1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers diced
1/2 cup red onion diced
2 tbsp olive oil
3-5 tbsp lemon juice

In a saucepan combine quinoa, salt, and water. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once boil has been reached, cover pot, reduced heat to low, and simmer for 12 minutes. Add corn. Recover. Simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Drain quinoa and corn mixture. Place mixture in bowl, fluff with fork, and let cool for a few moments. Add basil, peppers, onions, lemon juice and oil.

Of note- as already stated I did not use basil because I didn't have any! (And yet the dish is still quite tasty; however, it is missing that distinct basil flavor which I'm sure only does wonders for the dish!) I used frozen corn, not fresh. I also increased the red onion and red peppers to 1 cup chopped each! I started with a half cup each, but I thought their appearance was quite dismal (i.e. not plentiful enough and barely seen!) I used <1 tsp olive oil and I used 5 tbsp of lemon juice. Also, after sitting for a few hours the lemon juice had been absorbed by the qunioa as I expected; therefore, remember to add more lemon juice to fit your taste! (I love that lemon zest!) Also, if you're making this recipe for one person (or really even two) be sure to cut the recipe in half. Yes, I love quinoa, but I currently have a ridiculous amount of quinoa salad sitting in my refrigerator!

1 comment:

  1. I just tried this. So yummy! I ran out of lemon juice, so (going on a previous post theme)substituted lime juice. It turned out to be a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete