Friday, August 14, 2009

Julie and Julia Inspired


Last weekend, Julie and Julia premiered. Of course I had to go see it! Who doesn't love Julia Child? Or a woman who was so incredibly inspired by Julia Child. The movie is a must see. It's cute, light, and shares a story of determination to find oneself and accomplish a goal- through food and cooking! (That in itself is reason enough to go see the movie!)

Glamour Magazine's September 2009 issue discusses the movie and includes a few ideas of How to Whip Up Dinner in Only 10 Minutes. One favorite is by writer-director Nora Ephron entitled Nora's Spaghetti with Sand. Newly inspired by the movie and the desire to cook more (and also knowing it was 'quick and easy') I tried this recipe. I, however, realized- while the pasta was boiling- that I didn't have breadcrumbs. But, as luck had it, I had just made fresh bread that day. So, in a little twist to the original recipe, I diced and oven toasted my fresh raisin-whole grain bread as a substitute. It was delicious! And to make my meal well balanced, I added a fresh side salad to my meal. Delicious and Nutritious! With a little creativity, almost any problem can be resolved. Happy cooking!

Nora's Spaghetti with Sand Recipe
1 lb. spaghetti
4 cloves of garlic, slivered
2/3 cup olive oil (not virgin)
1 cup coarse bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped

-Boil spaghetti
-In a skillet, saute garlic in oil until slightly brown. Remove garlic and discard. In a bowl, mix bread crumbs and 2 tbsp of oil.
-Spread crumbs onto a baking sheet and toast
-When pasta is cooked and drained, toss with bread crumbs and remaining oil
-Season with salt, pepper, and parsley
-Enjoy!
(Serves 4-6 people)

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this recipe! It was such a nice change from my usual pasta and parmesan. And since I like parmesan so much, I added a quarter cup of reduced fat parmesan to the bread crumb mixture before tossing. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete