Sunday, August 30, 2009

Genetically Modified (GM) or Not?! Food for Thought!


I went to the grocery store and- as always- fresh fruit is always on my list of items to purchase. To my luck (and excitement of my wallet) peaches, plums, and nectarines were on sale for 99 cents per pound. The excitement vanished quickly when I stood there and pondered if I should even by these fruits. Why was I standing there perplexed? The peaches and nectarines were larger than my fist!! Seriously? I still had fresh thoughts in my mind regarding GM foods since I had just written about them. I was annoyed that there was a strong likelihood that those ginormous fruits flashing their cheap sale price were GM. Annoyed, I chose mostly plums to purchase as they were the size of tennis balls- which is what I remember a piece of fruit to be! There are no labels; I can't prove that the peaches and nectarines were GM, but if I had to guess, I'd go for YES! Unfortunately, although the plums appear to be a normal size, I can't prove they weren't GM. I guess we'll have to have hope that with the recent changes in the FDA that we'll get labeling passed for GM foods sooner rather than later! For those of you who are wondering, I'm not advising to not by GM foods. It's always a personal choice. For me, I like to know what I'm buying. I don't enjoy the difficulties I encounter these days trying to figure out where my food came from and how it was grown, produced and manufactured. Unfortunately, I don't have the time and means to have my own organic farm. Maybe that'll be a future endeavor! :)

1 comment:

  1. I heard about a way to tell if a fruit is geneticially modifided, organic, or "traditional": If the code on the fruit begins with nine, it's organic, four is "traditional" (pesticides usually used), and eight means genetically modified.

    ReplyDelete