Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Getting Started


So here goes. First post. I traveled this past weekend to the city of Portland, OR. Of the many things I realized, I was reminded of sustainability. Neighbors grow their own fruits and vegetables. The city is environmentally (and nutritionally) friendly with organic and locally grown food blatantly apparent at every street corner. I head back to Boston with a renewed energy to have my own garden, but then realize I don't have a backyard- not to mention that it is August and too late to start a garden. I've also missed the opportunity to sign up for local green space. So now what? The next thing available is to visit local farmer's markets, which I always am astonished at how many people don't go to them. Why is that? One could argue cost among other reasons. Among environmental reasons, the pure refreshing taste alone will keep you from returning to your old ways of buying chemically grown produce from the grocery store. (I'll save the topic of organics for another post.) If you only have time to add one more task (to your already long and seemingly never ending to-do list) this summer, go to a farmer's market. It will be well worth the effort and time!

No comments:

Post a Comment