Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shellfish Stir-fry with Mochi


As promised, here is my Mochi dinner meal. While I was preparing this meal I was truly guessing on how I thought Mochi would taste. Without truly knowing I was also guessing on what to pair it with. Good news! All of my guesswork paid off and I truly enjoyed this meal. It's not something I typically make and I'm glad it came out a success. I suppose this is the true joys of cooking- experimenting and coming up with success a story! :)

Shellfish Stirfry with Mochi Recipe
1/2 bag frozen fish (I suppose it depends on the size of the bag. 1 serving = 3-4 oz cooked. Use any kind of fish you prefer. I chose a bag of frozen shrimp, scallops and squid.)
1/2 bag of spinach (plus or minus as to your preference)
2-3 scallions, chopped
tomatoes, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic (plus or minus as to your preference)
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:
-Prepare Mochi as the directions on the back of the package state. (Chop into 2" squares. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes until crisp and light brown.)
-At the same time boil and cook frozen fish mixture until almost cooked. This is usually about 5-10 minutes. Be sure to almost fully cook (as it will be finished off in frying pan,) but to not overcook.
-In a frying pan warm oil and garlic. You should be able to smell the garlic. Add in spinach. When it is half cooked (or when half the leaves are wilted) add in the onions and tomatoes. This whole process probably takes about 10 minutes. Heat should be on low/medium.
-Add in (almost fully cooked) shellfish. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until fish is fully cooked.
-Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Dish stir-fry on plate next to fresh out of the oven Mochi!
-Enjoy!



Commentary:
What I enjoyed most about this meal was the crisp, yet chewy texture of this mild nutty tasting rice. I think it is a great replacement for a bread and I absolutely love the chewiness. The flavor of the stir-fry was also mild with a little kick of flavor from the garlic and scallions. I thought the two complimented each other well. If only I had added a glass of white wine... Give it a try. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment