Monday, February 15, 2010

Mochi- A Sweet Brown Rice

In one of my typical strolls down the shiny floors of my local market, I stopped abruptly as a radiant blue package caught the corner of my eye with its flashy sparkle! What caught my eye you ask?! Well, well, well, it was nothing more than MOCHI! Never heard of it? Well...

Mochi (per the package) is a traditional Japanese food made from a special short-grain sweet rice. We steam then pound the rice to accentuate its chewy texture and nutty flavor. Bake Mochi- amazing!- it puffs up, creating a chewy moist muffin with a crispy crust. Mochi is a satisfying whole grain treat known for promoting stamina! 100% non-dairy and wheat-free!

True to its advertisement (although I'm not so sure about the stamina part!), Mochi puffs up into a small ball of tasty goodness. It is quite chewy, but to me that's the draw. It has a very mild nutty flavor- not overwhelming at all. And of note, if you bake too much of it (by accident like I did) then you can refrigerate it in an air tight container and reheat later in the microwave. Surprisingly, the texture, chewiness and taste remained the same! (This is perfect for my cook now and eat later mentality!)

If you want to give a try, I found this product (Mochi by Grainaissance) at Whole Foods Market! So far so good! :) I think it makes a great substitute for a dinner roll! Stay tuned for my Mochi dinner meal!

Here's the website for additional information! (FYI the website displays multiple varieties. I tried the original version pictured on their page in the blue plastic!)
Happy tasting!



Of note, I am not being monetarily reimbursed for reviewing above said products or companies!

No comments:

Post a Comment