Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Apple Pumpkin Bread

Well, after my post on this years orchard visiting adventure, I hope you realized that a baking tale was soon to follow. I have to admit I was very absent over the summer in terms of cooking or blogging, but it's that time of year again where I'm inspired by the crisp gentle breeze and the mesmerizing foliage. Plus, I love the smell of autumn baking in my apartment. So I might as well share with all of you! ;)

After apple picking, I was considering making apple muffins of some sort. To my surprise as I was googling recipes, I came across a recipe for a pumpkin apple bread!! I was SO excited. And good news is (Spoiler Alert!) the (modified recipe) results are FABULOUS!! And yes, of course I modified the original recipe. A little modification; a little moderation. I think that's gonna be my new motto: Modification! Moderation! :)

When I went apple picking I decided against buying a small baking pumpkin. The day before I went apple picking I picked up a couple of cans of pumpkin. So, please feel free to substitute fresh pumpkin for canned pumpkin. I surely would have if I didnt just buy the cans.

Original recipe can be found here!

Apple Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Serving: 2 loaves or approximately 26 slices
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes

Ingredients: for topping
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp Smart/Earth Balance, softened at room temperature

Ingredients: for bread
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 15oz can pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1.5 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 large apples chopped

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat two bread pans with olive oil, Smart/Earth balance, or oil spray.
3. In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.


4. In another large bowl, mix together vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs.


5. Add pumpkin to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.


6. Once pumpkin is combined, add flour mixture 1/3 at a time!


7. Once all the flour is mixed in add in the apples. Be sure to peel, core, and dice or chop apples.



8. Split batter into two equal portions and pour into bread pans.

9. In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients with your finger tips until ingredients are crumbly.

10. Sprinkle half the topping mixture on each loaf.


11. Place in middle rack in your oven and bake!

12. Once tooth pick comes out clean, let bread cool for 45 minutes in pan.


13. Transfer to rack and let cool for another hour or so before indulging!!


Comments:
Wow this post seems long and complicated, but I promise making this bread is really easy!! First of all, I have to admit that I ran out of all-purpose flour, so I ended up using more whole wheat flour. In actuality I probably used 1.25 cups all-purpose flour and 1.75 cups whole wheat flour. Even to my surprise, this bread turned out moist and delicious!! So don't worry about exact measurements!! Also, I found that using a whisk really helps mix together the dry ingredients. The only time I switched utensils was when I was folding in the apples; a spatula worked best for that especially since the batter was so light and fluffy!!

When I first looked at the original recipe, I was really surprised by the amount of sugar used. I significantly cut back on the sugar; I was a little concerned that maybe I cut back too much! In the end, the bread was perfect. It wasn't too bland nor too sweet. One trick I learned, however, is to wait! I dont know about you, but I'm often impatient and want to consume my baked goods almost the instant they come out of the oven. And yes it's true; I do have stories of burning my mouth. The product is really its best and can be judged for quality after it has FULLY cooled!

Based on the post from the original source, I thought I would also comment on the pumpkin. If you can use real pumpkin, go for it! In terms of canned products, there are two options: pure pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling. Be sure to get the pure pumpkin variety and skip on the pie filling!!


For me, when it comes to baking with apples, I'm not too picky. There are many opinions on which types of apples are best for baking. I've made pies, muffins, breads, sauces and more over the years. I've always just chosen the type of apple that was around. And no, I don't recall ever having a horrible end product. And in this case, I did the same. I randomly chose two large apples from my bag. That was it!!

Last but not least, maybe because I'm a 'crazy' dietitian, I thought I'd include the caloric content. Always remember modification and moderation! :) One slice is approximately 185 calories! Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment