Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Autumn Hearty Vegetable Soup

So you're probably wondering why- every Autumn (it seems)- I post a recipe on a dish I don't like. You will often hear me say (verbally or written) that I don't like soups. And it's true- I don't! What I do like, however, are dishes that are warm and thick. This allows me to discuss my love for thickened soup-like dishes and yet continue to dislike soups!! :) For any of you New Englanders reading this post, you are well aware that winter came just a little too early this year. And therefore, my need for warm, thick substances also came a little early this year. I rummaged through my cupboards as usual and luckily came up with this tasty recipe below! Enjoy!

Autumn Hearty Vegetable Soup
Serves: 6 hearty portions

Ingredients:
1 box 32 fl oz vegetable broth
1 12 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup red lentils
1/4 cup split green peas
1/2 cup Trade Joes' Harvest Grains Blend
1 yellow onion chopped
1 white potato, peeled and chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
carrots, peeled and chopped
salt
black pepper
fresh garlic, diced

Directions:
1. Wash, peel, and chop all vegetables.
2. Place all ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cooked.

Comments:
The Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend I used is a pre-combined package of dried macaroni, red bell pepper, spinach, garbanzo beans, red quinoa, couscous, and orzo. I was originally thinking of adding pasta or something of that nature to help thicken this dish. I spotted this in my cupboard and was instantly excited! Of course, this and all ingredients used in recipe can be substituted for whatever you have in your cupboard. Honestly, I thought I was putting in a can of tomatoes and NOT tomato sauce when I started. I even originally planned on putting in fresh spinach! But, hey, all turned out well!! :)

There is no time listed. I think I let the soup simmer for 90 minutes, but we all know that time is variable depending on if you boil it or simmer it. I also started with the lid on, then off, then on/off again! :)

As for flavor, I threw in a pinch and a half of salt. Yes, I know the vegetable broth and canned tomato soup already has salt in it, but trust me, ADD MORE SALT!!! :) Your blood pressure will thank me. Just kidding! :) All foods in moderation, right?! As for the black pepper, I just shook and shook the container until I was tired of shaking! Give it a try. It's fun!! :) (You can even dance along...) I also like garlic; in almost every recipe I use garlic I am surprised at how many cloves I use (this time around I used 4-5), yet how light the flavor is (which is good. I don't really need to be 'drinking' garlic!) I don't think you can go wrong here! In the end, you have a tasty, hearty, filling, nutritious thick-liquid dish! :) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment