Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I think Brussels sprouts are one of those vegetables that receive an immediate response of 'Ewww! Gross!' despite never even having been within arms reach of those individuals not to mention tried and tasted. For the longest time I, too, disliked Brussels sprouts; however, I can say they had been more than within arms reach. They've been bought, prepared, tried and tasted! Until recently, they were on the avoid list. At a pot luck, my friend brought over roasted Brussels sprouts. Like the good dietitian I am, I tried them again although 'knowing' I disliked them. To my surprise, they were tolerable! I even went home the next day and made them myself. I have to admit by day two they dropped down to the not-so-desirable food again. I did learn though that the trick is to make sure you bake them long enough so they are crispy! So if you are a Brussels sprouts hater (and I don't blame you,) I say try them again! Enjoy!

Simple Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Prep Time: <10 minutes
Bake Time: 40-60 minutes or until crispy
Serves: as many or as few as you like!

Ingredients: (you determine the amounts!)
Brussels sprouts
olive oil
salt
pepper

Directions:
1. Wash and rinse Brussels sprouts.
2. Remove any brown spots and cut off stems.
3. Cut large sprouts in half
4. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper
5. Place in oven safe pan and bake for 40-60 minutes at 400 degrees until crispy! Be sure to occasionally flip/stir sprouts to avoiding burning!

Uncooked Brussels sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment