Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baked Halibut Crumble with Sauteed Summer Squash

Standing in front of the seafood counter, I was debating on which type of fish to choose to settle the hunger growls of my tummy. Alas, the man over the counter made my decision easy- "The halibut is fresh. It just came in about an hour ago. It's practically still kicking! Would you like that?!" Decision made in seconds, much quicker than I had anticipated!

The next task was to figure out how to prepare this freshly dead fish. I was hoping this task would be completed almost as quickly as the first. And I think within a reasonable amount of time, I found a tasty recipe. Original Recipe Found Here!



Time: 20-30 minutes including preparation. Serves: 2

Main Course:
Ingredients:
0.75 pound fresh halibut steaks
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic chopped (more/less for your taste preferences)
1/4 cup olive oil
extra oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
optional- fresh squeeze lemon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Spread a thin layer of oil over the pan to prevent sticking
3. Place steaks on pan.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
5. In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, garlic, oil, cheese, and thyme into a thick paste.
6. Pat on top of each steak.
7. Bake for 10-14 minutes until fish is cooked. Times vary by ovens.
8. Enjoy! (Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.)

Side Dishes:
While you're preparing the fish, simulatenously begin preparing the side dishes.

Ingredients:
1 small zucchini
1 small summer squash
1 large tomato
olive oil
parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Rinse and wash vegetables.
2. Slice tomatoes and place on dinner plate.
3. Slice zucchini and summer squash.
4. Pan fry zucchini and summer squash on stove-top pan with olive oil until warm and slightly brown.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Place squash on plate. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
7. Enjoy!

Commentary:
In my experience, non-stick pan or not, the fish always sticks. Always add a little extra oil to prevent your food from sticking. Your hands/arms will thank you later from the limited scrubbing you had to do to clean the pan. Trust me! :) Personally, this dish is better sans lemon! I tried both options. Other than that, my comments today are quite minimal. This was a quick, easy, tasty meal and there's not much I would do differently next time around. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thats surely exquisite to recognize the fact and I am positive you will also love my article written here when do apple trees bear fruit approximately Hope so you will love to provide me a go-to.

    ReplyDelete