Monday, October 12, 2009

Everything Autumn Part 4

I realize that we are quickly creeping into the middle of October and before we know it Autumn will be gone; I can't let the mention of football season surpass the season of Autumn. The start of Autumn is always associated, in my mind, with football season. Once a week every week for 16 weeks (20 weeks if you count pre-season) is the excitement and anticipation of a new game. Nothing says Autumn better like a great game of football with a great cup of chili! I personally love Vegetarian Chili and there are many varieties. My recipe is as follows:

Vegetarian Chili
at least two 15oz cans of black beans, pinto beans, red/kidney beans (and/or any other variety of beans that are in my cupboard at time of preparation)
fresh carrots
green onions
at least two of the following peppers: red, yellow, orange, green (include hot varieties if you like them!)
Chili powder
black pepper
red pepper
Cumen
Cayene
Garlic
(Any other hot spices in my cupboard at the time of preparation)
Cheese (mozzarella or vegan or any other variety you enjoy)
(If needed, water and/or vegetable broth)

Take your large soup pot and put it on the stove. Open, drain, and rinse canned items (except tomatoes.) Put in pot. Rinse, clean, peel, and/or chop fresh vegetables. Put in pot. Add spices to taste. (If needed you can add a few tbsp of vegetable broth or water to provide a little additional liquid; I find I don't need it if I'm using canned tomatoes!) Turn on burner and simmer ingredients on low for a few hours (or just use a crock pot.) When hungry, put some in a bowl or cup. Add mozzarella cheese (low fat or regular as preferred) or vegan cheese. Enjoy!

Of note- quantities depend on how big your pot is and how much or little chili you want to make. Trust me, you really can't mess up chili. If anything, you'll learn how to make it better next time. I've also made veggie chili with soy crumbles as to mimic regular beef or turkey burger chili. Give it a whirl. Easy as 1-2-3!

No comments:

Post a Comment