Saturday, October 31, 2009

Almonds Matter




Since I wrote about walnuts, I find it only fair to discuss almonds- another popular tree nut- as I don't want to discriminate; I don't have a favorite nut. I love all nuts!

Almonds, as walnuts, are also nutritionally dense. They are a great source of manganese, vitamin E, and magnesium among others (potassium and fiber.) The World's Healthiest Foods

Nuts, in general, are high in total fat. On average, 1 oz nuts equals 200 calories and 17 grams of fat (plus or minus.) HOWEVER, all fats are NOT created equally and almonds (among others) are mostly monounsaturated fats! This is a good thing and heart healthy! So eat up! Choose unsaturated fats over saturated fats. (Saturated fats can increase your LDL- your bad cholesterol- which can promote atherosclerosis and heart disease.) As always, remember portion control. 1/4 MAX nuts per day! (They are still calorically dense!)

Almond Facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment