Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Autumn Fruity Chutney

It's all about Autumn. And yes, I do think I will try to name most of my recipes and blog posts with 'Autumn' during this enjoyable time of year. I mean, really, why not?! :)

Autumn Fruity (Delicious Homemade) Chutney
Serves: 4
Time: 5-10 minutes to peel and chop apples. 15 minutes to cook.

Ingredients:
2 large apples, peeled, cored, diced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of ground clove
4 dried figs chopped
2 tbsp golden raisins


Directions:
1.  Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
2.  Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to medium low heat and simmer with lid on.





Comments:
I always say all recipes are modifiable... I think when I try this recipe again I'm going to leave out the brown sugar! The chutney still turned out delicious and MUCH better than your store bought variety, but between the vinegar and the fruits themselves, I think the brown sugar just made this chutney a bit too sweet.

Next time around I will also use more dried figs and raisins. I, too, run out of food sometimes. I just used the  remainder of what was in the package. As for the raisin type, you choose. I prefer the golden ones.

Now you ask, what do you do with this tasty chutney?! Well, turn on those multi-tasking skills you have and make french toast on a weekend morning for your honey (friend, sister, mother, brother.) Use the chutney as the topping; and they'll just think you're the best cook EVER! :)





1 comment:

  1. Jennifer Bonczek, RD

    Hello Ms. Bonczek, hope all is well!
    I’m Katie Reines, a junior at Purdue University studying Dietetics, Nutrition, Fitness, and Health with high hopes of becoming a dietitian. I am eager to get some experience and have been doing a lot of research trying to find a dietitian who might be a good role model for me. From Marblehead, MA, I will be coming home for winter break and I think it would be wonderful to get the opportunity to shadow you! I am extremely interested in prenatal nutrition and gestational diabetes as well as all diabetes prevention. I also am an advocate for vegetarian cuisine, and would love to see how you incorporate mindful eating and weight management into your practice. I was unable to find an email address to contact you, but I love your blog and hopefully you will find this message! My email address is k.reines1@gmail.com, I also just followed you on twitter and love all of your educational tweets. Very inspired!

    Thank you very much, have a wonderful week!
    Katie ☺

    ReplyDelete