Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Three Bean Salad!

Summer is winding down, but I'm not yet ready to begin the transition from summer to fall cuisines. For awhile now, I've been staring at the frozen green beans and edamame in my freezer. I've been wanting to make a salad with them and, well, let's just say today I was inspired. I tossed together the ingredients I desired, but I was a little uncertain on the dressing. After a quick google search, I actually came across a recipe similar to what was already in my head! (See original recipe here!)



Three Bean Salad
Time: <20 minutes
Serves: recipes makes 6 one cup portions

Ingredients:
1/2 16oz bag frozen edamame
1/4-1/2 16oz bag frozen green beans
1/2 16oz bag frozen corn
1 15oz can black beans
2 medium ripe tomatoes

Dressing Ingredients:
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice (or juice from one fresh lime)
2 tsp honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:
1. Bring pot of water to boil.
2. Cook edamame as directed.
3. Let frozen green beans and corn defrost. Speed up the process by running under cold water.
4. Rinse and drain black beans.
5. Rinse and dice tomatoes.
6. When the edamame is cooked and cooled, mix all the above ingredients together in a large bowl.
7. In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients. Add the oil last using a whisk.
8. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently.
9. Stir gently and let cool in refrigerator for a couple hours before serving.

Of note, one cup of this salad is approximately 210 calories. Have two cups as a high protein, low fat nutritious meal OR limit portion size to one cup and combine it with your favorite summer time meal to make it a complete entree! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment