Sunday, September 26, 2010

One Stop Farm'ing

Hello Autumn. I missed you. Autumn rings apples, pumpkins, and the last chance to get fresh fruits and vegetables. It also glistens with foliage and calms you with its sweet, crisp fragrance and cool tingling breeze. Hello Autumn. I missed you.

Every year I have the same impulse- I must go apple picking, pumpkin picking, and visit a local farm. Every year I want change; I wanna go somewhere new!!!

With unpredictable weather patterns and the never-ending to-do list, time is always an issue. Sad to admit it, but even I did not have the time to visit more than one farm this year. In my opinion it's fun to farm hop- you know, go from one farm to the next and making it a whole day's adventure.

Last year and in the previous years, I have visited many great farms; however, each one would have a specialty- if you will. Farm A would pride themselves on everything apples- apple picking, homemade apple goodies, apple cider and more. Farm B would pride themselves on the largest pumpkins around and/or the best pumpkins for pies! And Farm C, D, and E would be a vegetable farm, or a dairy farm, or an animal farm. You get my point- farm hopping!

With time- as mentioned above- as the issue, I was in search of one stop farm'ing!! And just lucky for me, I found such a place!! This year I visited the Fairmount Fruit Farm in Franklin, Massachusetts. They have a hay ride available for all! Although the farm appears to be on the smaller side compared to other orchards I've been too, there were still plenty of apples to go around- and more! :) If you didn't want to pick apples, there were pecks sitting and waiting. (FYI a peck is the small bag of apples!) There are a variety of pumpkins waiting to be brought home to be carved or baked into something yummy! The farm also has pears; you can't pick them because the tress are fragile, but they too are ready and waiting to be eaten as is or baked into something yummy! The store also has an array of fresh vegetables (at a fabulous price might I add!) Some vegetables include cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, sweet potatoes, onions and more. Read the website (link above) for their animal product availability. I'm very much pro free range! (Yay!)

And last, but not least, the animals themselves. I was very pleasantly surprised to see my favorite animal among the chickens and sheep! Which animal is that....? MR. LLAMA!!!


Happy Farm'ing!! :)
Oh- and Happy Autumn too!

No comments:

Post a Comment