Sunday, May 9, 2010

Oh You Devil of an Egg!

One of my favorite foods, albeit completely unhealthy, has always been deviled eggs. Until now, I have never attempted to make them. For some reason I was daunted by what I thought to be a complex multiple-step process. (Or maybe that was my excuse for the reality that if my Dad made them so well, why should I even bother?!) Well, I finally rolled up my sleeves and dove into the daunting, unknown concoction of deviled eggs. The result was a surprisingly delicious deviled egg (or two or three!)

To start with, I perused the internet to find an easy recipe. I came across too many to count and quickly settled on Rachel Ray's Recipe. I followed the recipe exactly with 2 exceptions. First, I cut the recipe in half. (Unless you're having a large get-together 6 eggs is PLENTY!) Second, I added in one heaping teaspoon of spicy horseradish sauce. When I tasted the mixture, it was missing that kick and spice that I recalled my Dad's deviled eggs had. And although I detest horseradish (as much as sour cream and artichokes) this secret ingredient made my deviled eggs surprisingly wonderful!! Yum Yum Yum YUM!! Happy indulging (yet again it seems! All foods in moderation I always say! To me, these are a treat and are to be saved for the best of times- holidays, family gatherings, and any other special event! Happy indulging, you devil you!)




Deviled Egg Recipe (Modified from Rachel Ray's Recipe above.)
Serving: 12
Preparation: Quick

Ingredients
6 large eggs
ice water
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp spicy mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper (or any hot spice mixture will do!)
1 heaping tsp spicy horseradish sauce
salt
black pepper
paprika (for dusting)

Directions
1. Boil eggs.
2. Let stand in ice cold water until eggs are cool.
3. Peel eggs.
4. Cut eggs length-wise.
5. Scoop out the yolk of each egg and place in a separate bowl.
6. After scooping out the yolks, place egg whites on a plate.
*Remember to be gentle scooping out yolks; you want the egg whites to stay intact.
7. Mash and mix the yolks with the mayonnaise, spicy mustard, cayenne pepper, spicy horseradish sauce, salt, and black pepper.
8. Scoop mixture into each half of the egg white shells. (Be gentle now!)
9. Sprinkle with paprika!

VOILA!


No comments:

Post a Comment