Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sweet Breakfast Millet and Oat Biscuits

This is a tale of a lesson learned.

I was shopping in a local spice store and my eye caught a bag of millet. Of course my dietitian mind goes crazy '...I... HAVE... TO... HAVE... IT...' And although this is a must-have ingredient, I have no idea how to prepare millet. I should clarify, I have no idea how to make millet taste good. In the bag goes the millet.

I searched a little bit on the internet and came across this recipe for millet patties. I'm going to spare you the details, but these did NOT taste great at all. Unfortunately, they simply tasted gross. Of (very important) note, I did not even closely follow the recipe. Maybe if I had done so, the outcome would have been much better and I wouldn't have been forced to eat disgusting patties for days. (I try not to be wasteful!)

While eating these not-so-yummy patties, I was intrigued by the millet. The final product was gross, but the taste of millet was nutty and delicious. I thought to myself- '...this would make a fabulous breakfast muffin...'! Indeed it did!! This is probably my first true creation. No recipe in hand. Just ideas in my mind! Here goes...

Sweet Breakfast Millet and Oat Biscuits
Serves: 3-4 (2 small biscuits each)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked millet
1/2 cup uncooked quick oats
1/4 cup bran cereal*
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp raisins
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp water
canola oil

Directions:
1. Cook millet. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl mix together- with your hands- millet, oats, and bran cereal. Be sure to crush and crumble the cereal.
3. Mix in brown sugar, raisins, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
4. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time to the mixture until the ingredients stick together and you can successfully form patties.
5. Lightly oil the cookie sheet.
6. Place patties a few inches apart on cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Enjoy!

Make your breakfast complete and serve with reduced fat cottage cheese and a bowl of fresh fruit!

*I used Nature's Path Organic Heritage Heritage Heirloom whole grains cereal





No comments:

Post a Comment