Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sweet Breakfast Millet and Oat Biscuits (Variety Two!)

I was having a craving for these tasty breakfast treats, so I ran into my kitchen to begin baking up a storm. Suddenly, I stopped in my tracks. What is the first thing you should ALWAYS do before cooking or baking?? Obviously, it's check your cabinets for all the ingredients! Well- obviously- I did not do that!! The good thing, however, is that I am creative enough to be able to substitute ingredients. (Or maybe I'm just lucky enough to have a cabinet full of ingredients to substitute with! Who knows?! ;)) Either way, in the end, I created a slight variety to my breakfast treat, which are (thankfully!!) just as tasty!!


Sweet Breakfast Millet and Oat Biscuits (Variety Two)
Serves: 3-4 (2 small biscuits each)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked millet
1/2 cup uncooked quick oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts*
1 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp raisins**
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp water
canola oil

Directions:
1. Cook millet. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl mix together- with your hands- millet, oats, and walnuts.
3. Mix in brown sugar, raisins, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
4. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time to the mixture until the ingredients stick together and you can successfully form patties.
5. Lightly oil the cookie sheet.
6. Place patties a few inches apart on cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Enjoy!

The one difference between this recipe and the original one is the texture of the ingredients when you are mixing it together. The bran cereal, I think, helps to soak up the liquid. Without the bran cereal, the mixture is much more mushy in your hands! (It made me feel like a four year playing in the mud honestly! :)) In the end, the final product was still as tasty- if not even better!

*I substituted bran cereal or Nature's Path Organic Heritage Heritage Heirloom whole grains cereal for chopped walnuts because that is the ingredient I had unknowingly ran out of!!

**I like raisins. I decided to increase the portion! Makes the biscuit much better! Yes indeed! :)


Uncooked.


Baked and ready to devour!!


(For all you calorie counters out there, each biscuit is only 130 calories and full of tasty nutrition!!! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment