Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sweet Potato Bean!


I randomly stumbled up on this recipe! Delicious! I have to admit I was skeptical at first. When I think of sweet potatoes, I don't think of black beans (or visa versa.) I realized I had little to lose since I love both black beans and sweet potatoes (as well as tomatoes and cumin.) My dance with the unknown worked in my favor; this is my new favorite side-dish. (Yes, until tomorrow and I discover my next new favorite!)

Place sweet potato(es) in the microwave for about 4 minutes or so. At the same time open a can of black beans and a can of diced tomatoes. Mix them together in a pot and stir in cumin. (I was out of coriander so I (obviously) left that out!) Turn the burner to medium and bring to a boil. (Tip: Gas stoves are wonderful. Gas provides instant heat unlike electric. As the microwave was beeping, the mixture was bubbling!) Place the potato(es) on a plate. Slice with a butter knife. Squish with your fingers! (Caution! It's hot hot hot!!) Ladle a scoop of beans and tomatoes on top of the potato(es). Add cilantro and voila! Eat up! (No sour cream for me! YUCK!) Enjoy! This can be eaten alone or as part of a dish. I enjoy it with a side of tofu and another of green beans! Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. At a wedding this summer, I had sweet potato enchiladas. Delicious. I can definitely vouch for the sweet potatoes and black beans going together well.

    ReplyDelete